Sunday, May 31, 2009

Three Things

1. Can something be done about David Ortiz? Like, is there some reason we need to keep him in the line up? Send him to AAA for awhile and stick someone who can hit in there. This is getting to be ridiculous. I also have issues with Nick Green at shortstop. Okay, so he's a pretty decent hitter with runners on base, and of course he's adorable, but he makes fielding and/or baserunning errors every time I watch him play. Maybe it's really my fault: bad luck charm. Hopefully Jed Lowrie will be back soon. He looks like my former roommate's former boyfriend.

2. I saw the craziest movie last night, Happy-Go-Lucky. First of all, I love British movies, especially featuring cockney accents. You could barely understand what these people were saying but it was still hilarious. I actually tried to put subtitles on so I could follow better, but I couldn't figure out how to on my fabulous new tv.

The movie itself was about a woman who is... happy go lucky. I'm sure there is more to it, and I could come up with some random take on the movie, but (a) I don't feel like thinking that hard; and (b) I fell asleep for twenty minutes in the middle of it, so I probably missed some crucial plot twist. Sally Hawkins plays the lead though, and she was so great. Actually, I just clicked over to the movie's website to find some linky material and I see she got the Golden Globe for her role last year. Good for her. She probably deserved it, but I don't remember who she was up against.

3. I'm sitting here right now with Golden Girls on in the background, and it's funny to realize that GG is an older generation's Sex and the City. Four fabulous women talking about their single sex lives, always getting in each others' business, riffing off of each others' personalities. I mean, that description could apply to all kinds of sitcoms, but it was one of those shows that really resonated with the gays. Bea Arthur of course made Golden Girls. I personally loved Cynthia Nixon in SATC. Strong female roles of course. Also, it turns out that GG is sometimes the current generation's SATC. It will live on in infamy.

There could be a Gay 1.0 v. Gay 2.0 point to be made there, and maybe someday I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment