Sunday, August 9, 2009

Julie and Julia...

... was good, and now I'm starving.

  • Stanley Tucci and Meryl Streep are such an amazing combo. I loved them in DWP (along with everything else in that movie, except for the scenes with Andy's lame friends) and they are so great in this movie. Awesome chemistry.
  • I'm a huge Amy Adams fan, but she wasn't able to make me care about her character in this movie. Whiny neurotic brats aren't really my thing (maybe b/c it takes one to know one). But I loved how she was a blogger.
  • I also loved Chris Messina. The last I saw of him, he was Claire's dorky boyfriend in Six Feet Under. He has a ton of charisma and is just so likable. Weirdly enough, my former roommate's name was also Chris Messina, and when I googled the actor when I saw him in Six Feet Under, I discovered that the roommate is a minor celebrity in some tech blog/e-zine circles. He had tons of hits. So, good for him! Do people still say ezine?
  • I wish that I had known Julia Child a bit better before going into the movie. Meryl Streep could do anything. Literally. If there were a movie where she was cast as, I don't know, the Pope, she would pull it off and I would believe. I'm sure she was spot-on with Julia Child's accent, but I didn't know it enough to commentate. I did YouTube her before going to the movie tonight, but that just gave me a passing familiarity.
  • The movie was wrapped tight in a nice little concept, but I wish Meryl Streep would have had more screen time. The concept would have suffered if she had an outsized role, but I feel like it would have been a net benefit.
  • BF thinks that Meryl Streep devours young actresses with whom she is cast. Amy Adams in JJ, Anne Hathaway in DWP, Amy Adams in Doubt... I think that's dead on. And I just now realized that this movie was kind of like a three year reunion tour for Meryl Streep, with Stanley Tucci in DWP from 2006 and with Amy Adams in Doubt from 2008. That's kind of cool.
That's all.

1 comment:

  1. Right on about the Amy Adams character. Did the movie even need that whole subplot at all?

    PS the Times agrees w me that "Meryl Streep eats young actresses for breakfast" haha:

    http://movies.nytimes.com/2009/08/07/movies/07julie.html?scp=1&sq=Julia&st=cse

    ReplyDelete