Tuesday, August 18, 2009

With Many Grains of Salt...

I pass on this from the NY Times:

Given hardening Republican opposition to Congressional health care proposals, Democrats now say they see little chance of the minority’s cooperation in approving any overhaul, and are increasingly focused on drawing support for a final plan from within their own ranks.
I would also add that "harden[ed] Republican opposition" has been inevitable since before Obama was elected, and that he might have saved himself some political capital and the country a lot of time and significant unrest had he decided to push for this process earlier. And I must say that I'm glad to see this option at least discussed in public, rather than allowing Republicans' complaints to dominate the narrative. Whether this is anything more than just words, though, remains to be seen. Count me among the skeptics.

No comments:

Post a Comment