Monday, August 10, 2009

The Wrong Clinton

Ok, I posted this on Reader earlier today, but I love it. Hillary Clinton is one of the most accomplished individuals in government today. She was pilloried during the Democratic primary campaign for daring to suggest that her experience as first lady--which included meeting dozens and dozens of foreign leaders--counted as experience for the presidency. Excuse me, but, you know, it did. How much easier would it be to be president if you already know most of the leaders with whom you have to work on an international stage? I'm not suggesting (nor was Clinton) that such familiarity is unobtainable on its own, but to say that she was somehow being disingenuous by stating that fact was ridiculous.

Anyhoo, so today in Congo, Clinton was asked what her husband thinks about some China/World Bank situation with which I am completely unfamiliar. She snapped, and she was right to snap. Who cares what President Clinton thinks? I hate that he still overshadows her when she is the nation's chief diplomat, but let's face it: the situation would be the same even if she were president now. This woman has endured so much insanity for so long, it kills me that she still has to, in the words of the infamous 1992 gaffe/Loretta Lynn song, Stand By Her Man.

I wonder if history will remember Hillary Clinton as the last capital-f Feminist. Just as Clyburn, MLK and Jackson took the worst of the African-American civil rights movement to make way for Obama's ascendency, maybe Clinton is taking the last of the women's rights movement to pave the way for, I don't know, Amy Klobuchar. (Granholm is Canadian, and Palin is Palin). That would be unfortunate, because I think the United States would benefit from the moderation, prudence and wisdom of a President Hillary Clinton. But that's the way things go in politics. Moments sometimes pass the prime movers by. Anyway, take a look:

No comments:

Post a Comment